Pages

Thursday 9 October 2014

October 3T's ...

Welcome to another round of Tips, Tricks and Techniques, this time brought to you by team member Wendy O'Keeffe.


HYBRID VINTAGE CARD  by Wendy

Next week you will see the vintage layout I did using the beautiful painting by Godfrey Rivers “Under the Jacaranda Tree” as inspiration. In the meantime, I thought I would show you how I used the same artwork as inspiration to make a card. The card is a hybrid, using both digital and traditional elements. This is the finished version:



It is an easel style card, traditionally made but with a digital front panel. The main colour is blue to reflect the lovely colour of the Jacaranda blooms in the inspirational painting. The following step by step instructions show how I made the card.

1.       The front panel

I produced the front panel of my card by using digital artwork and printing it on photographic paper.


Hint 1 - Don’t be put off if you don’t do digital. You can use one of your own photos, or a favourite image from the internet (just make sure you don’t break any Copy Right laws).

Hint 2 - If you don’t have a photo printer, you can save your image and have it printed as a photo for as little as 10 cents at places like Office Works. (I do this for my Christmas cards and they end up being very inexpensive but still personalised.


The vintage image on my panel is from G&T Designs which I purchased from e-scape and scrap online. The other embellishments come from a variety of digital art packages.

2.       What you will need to make the card


As well as the above list, you will need your favourite glue and some foam dots or squares.

3.  Assembling the card


Ink around the edges of your front panel and the two pieces of patterned paper/cardstock. Stick the front panel to the large piece of patterned paper so that it looks like this.

Then stick that to the centre of one of the pieces of your scored cardstock so that it looks like the photo below. This could be a stand-alone card as it is but I’m going to show you how to turn it into an easel card.


To form the easel shape, you need to stick your card to the other piece of cardstock.


Now you can stick your embellishments to the front of your card so that it becomes 3D. I used flowers and a butterfly as an extension to the flowers on my digital panel.

You should still have a small piece of patterned paper/cardstock left which you need to stick on the inside, bottom-centre of your card. I used foam dots to stick this on – this raises it so it acts like a platform for the card to stand up properly.

I only added a couple of embellishments to the front patterned platform. You can embellish the whole panel to make your card more ornate if you like. However, I’ve left mine fairly plain so that the sentiment can be written on the panel and easily visible for people to read.

Thank you so much for dropping by and I hope you learned something that you can use for inspiration next time you want to make a card.



Don't forget to enter this month's ARTastic challenge.  All the details are in the left sidebar.  Remember you have until the end of the month to submit your entry.


4 comments:

  1. That is really neat ..such a gorgeous vintage image! And I do like the Chrissy photo idea, too!!! Thanks for the ideas:):)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've commented somewhere else but I will again. I'm awed by the lovely details you have on this splendid card.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a beautiful card, Wendy. That little image is so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your great card tip Wendy, it looks fantastic :)

    ReplyDelete